Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:36:02 +0100
From:      tg@award.de
To:        sos@FreeBSD.dk
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PIIX configuration

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 11:31:13AM +0100, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > while looking through the source in /sys/pci yesterday, I noticed that the
> > detection code for the Intel 82371xx IDE chip (PIIX) was present in 2 places.
> >
> > The detection code in pcisupport.c will find the chip first, claim it and
> > display that it found one, but will not do anything with the chip.
> >
> > This effectively blocks the detection code in wd82371.c, which means that the
> > more sophisticated code there does not get executed at all, so no DMA setup.
> > Quite a pity if your IDE disk supports DMA.
>
> You must be looking at a 2.2.x system.
> For more up to date (E)IDE  driver system look in curent, there is
> suppport for DMA etc modes.

Err... Sh*t. That's why I always ask MY customers which version they are using.
The system in question is a 2.2.5-Stable cvsupped 11/17. Sorry.

Is there any chance to take the code from current and mix it into 2,2,x without
too much work ?

> Most of the speed difference comes from the fact that linux has delayed
> write on as default, try mounting your disks with the async flag, and
> you will see semilar performance (and less security against corrupted
> disks on power outages etc).

I don't think that the major speed difference comes from the sync vs. async
mounting. The speed difference was measured using bonnie with files > 100M
and that's about twice the available RAM. Besides, I usually mount anything
sync if possible. Old electrical installation, you know :-).

Regards,

Timo