Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:43:15 +0100
From:      Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>
To:        Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linking problems with gcc 3.4.2 and glibc on 5.3-stable

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 07:42:11AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> I then decided to try psybnc myself and this is what happens using
> gcc 3.4.2 bundled with 5.3.
>
> Initializing bouncer compilation
> [*] Running Conversion Tool for older psyBNC Data.
> tools/convconf.c: In function `cofile':
> tools/convconf.c:81: error: label at end of compound statement
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/home/chrysalis/psybnc.

  The above isn't using the ports collection, right? Thus your complaint
  is not justified. You simply blame the compiler. Yes, compilers have
  bugs but the do evolve too. And in this case GCC 3.4.x catches a bug
  _in_ the source that previous GCC versions missed.

> however if I install gcc 3.3.6 and then edit the top line in Makefile
> to cc = gcc33 then it compiles fine.

  You really should have looked at the place GCC complained about: it
  _is_ a bug in the source! There is a label and no statement after the
  label. Add a ; and it will compile. Older GCC versionss accept that.

> I will as you suggest try a later gcc in the 3.4.x branch as there is
> newer version then what is bundled in 5.3 and I will report back.

  I would suggest that you update+use ports because the ports-collection
  has a patch for this particular problem: files/patch-tools-convconf.c

> I havent test ezbounce with 3.3.6 yet.

  This is C++ and probably a different issue.

  Gunther