Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:54:56 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        Lance Woodson <lance@woodson.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No PC-CARD Slots; Device Not Configured

I had this problem.  I finally resolved it by the following:

When the initial configuration menu first comes up (i.e. where you
disable any devices you know your system doesn't have), instead of
using the default IRQ 10 for pcic0, change it to some IRQ you know
your system doesn't use for anything else.  I used IRQ 3, because
my laptop has only one serial port (IRQ 4 is the first serial port,
IRQ 3 is the second).

Then, when the PCCARD configuration asks you the confusing question
about picking an IRQ that is/isn't available for PCCARD, pick 10 & 11
and see if that works.  If IRQ 10 is used by a sound card, then pick
5 & 11.

I'm not entirely sure this makes sense, but it seemed to me that it
was trying to use IRQ 10 for both the PCCARD controller itself, and
simultaneously for the PCCARDs themselves.  Give it a different IRQ
for the controller (pcic0), and it seems to solve the problem. It
might work for you.

The recent 3.4R-PAO install went much more smoothly.  It is much
more flexible in assigning IRQs to the pccards.  I hope it gets
rolled into 4.x soon!

-- Bob