Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:46:26 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "James Williams" <james.williams1952@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Console size and scrollback buffer.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:58:31 +0530, "James Williams" <james.williams1952@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) How can I change the number of rowsxcols of the console? I'd like
> to use the maximum rows/cols available for the 1440x900 screen.

You can use vidcontrol to do that.

> 2) How can these settings be made default (takes effect at boot)?

At boot? Never tried this, but I think there are some kernel
settings that are relevant for this; they'll be documented in
the NOTES files for the kernel.

> 3) How I can set the scrollback buffer size (if that's the name) of
> the console -- the equivalent of Shift+{PgUp,PgDn} on Linux?

In FreeBSD, use the Scroll Lock key (that's why it's there); the
length of the scrollback buffer can be controlled by vidcontrol, too.

Refer to "man vidcontrol" and its EXAMPLES section.

> I played around with vidcontrol but was not quite successful.

Make sure the requested videomode is available, "vidcontrol -i mode"
will tell you.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany