Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:47:45 -0700
From:      "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ssh protocol [was: Interesting problem: chowning files sent via FTP]

> As I understand it, SSH is encumbered by a license that requires
> you to pay big bucks unless you're an individual or a non-profit.
> I'd need to build the protocol into the specialized client
> software, too, which also isn't allowed by the license. If it
> were BSD-licensed, it wouldn't be a problem.

The ssh PROTOCOL is free.  In fact, the v2 protocol is making progress
towards becoming an IETF standard.  (v2 fixes some serious bugs in the
v1 protocol).  There is a free (GNU) ssh v2 protocol implementation in
the works...  Check out

http://www.net.lut.ac.uk/psst/

(specifically, look at lsh)

-Greg