Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:43:55 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Tamer Ziady <ziady@in-design.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 7k Sound

Darryl Okahata wrote:

> Tamer Ziady <ziady@in-design.com> wrote:
>
> >       I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 and having the following problem:
> >
> >               what should I have in the kernel for sound support?
>
>      The Inspiron 7000/7500 uses the ESS Maestro 2E sound chip, which is
> not supported by FreeBSD (even in -current).  The soundcard developers
> would like to support it, but they apparently have no access to a system
> with the Maestro 2E chip, and so they can't write a driver for it.

	Work has one 7500 on order right now.  How much access to one of
these do they need?  Assuming I get FreeBSD on this thing ok when it
comes in then I can look at providing an account for them to try stuff
out.

	Unless they are in the Sacramento, CA area physical access would
pretty much be out of the question though.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu