Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:17:09 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, pine@freebsd.ady.ro
Subject:   Re: Pine 4 update

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Studded wrote:

> I've submitted a patch to update pine4 to 4.03, and add some
> additional functionality. It's PR 7879. I was in a hurry for this due to
> the discussion on bugtraq regarding the possibility of a user with a
> "pine only" login account gaining shell access. Also I've had "add an

 Links, please, links... I'd like to know about it...

> install of /usr/local/etc/pine.conf" on my list of things to do forever,
> so I'm happy. :)

 It's there in the port since Pine 4.02A... :)

>     One problem I ran into was when I added a test for the pine.conf
> file. Originally I tried:
>
> .if !exists(${PREFIX}/etc/pine.conf)
>
> but that didn't work, so I had to switch to
>
> .if !exists(/usr/local/etc/pine.conf)

 IMHO we shouldn't auto-generate /usr/local/etc/pine.conf because, well,
it doesn't do anything and it will upset future versions of Pine that will
be installed -- please tell me if I'm wrong...

> I am not enough of an expert on make to know why this didn't work, but I
> got tired of beating my head against the wall. I figured that since the
> references to /usr/local are hard-coded into the documentation and the
> os-bsf.h file this wouldn't be a big deal in this case.

 BTW, I believe there is a pretty big problem with the version of your
port -- libpico.a isn't supposed to be installed anywhere outside the
port's working directory, this library is statically linked into the
resulting executables...

 I'm going to post my current version of the port on the list though I
have a problem with it: when I compose a message to myself and immediately
check my mail Pine will crash with a "Received abort signal" -- this is
either a bug or a problem with my configuration (It's not the /var/mail/
permissions, I checked that)...

> Hope it's of use,

 Thanks, it is!

  Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)