Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 01:31:35 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Elementary Printing Help, Please

I have an HP 820Cse connected to my local machine as lpt0.  It
prints fine from Windows, so the hardware works.  I have apsfilter
installed and /etc/printcap set up to use the ppa driver that
these particular HP machines must use.  I have lpd_enable="YES" in
my /etc/rc.conf file.  I also uncommented the localhost line in
/etc/hosts.equiv, just in case that might have any effect.
However, I get no response at all from the printer whenever I try
to print anything.  For instance, if I try

# lptest > /dev/lpt0

there is a momentary pause, then the root prompt comes up for the
next line, but the printer just sits there.  Same thing if I try

# cat [$HOME]/test > /dev/lpt0

where test is the name I gave to the small Postscript test file
set out in the Handbook.

Here is the relevant portion of my kernel:

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port IO_LPT1 irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer

I've also tried it without the "port IO_LPT1," but no difference.

Here's the relevant bit of dmesg:

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/9 bytes threshold
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 820C> SCP,VLINK
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

The result of

# dmesg | grep lpt0

is

lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

repeated 3 times.

Though I've been slogging away at FreeBSD for a while, this is the
first time (obviously!) I've tried setting up a printer.  If
someone would take the trouble to tell me what elementary thing I
haven't thought of, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jud