Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:09:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, dsamms@nw-ds.com
Subject:   Re: ZFS trouble: unbelievably large files created

David Samms wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > What does "ls -kls" report on those files?
 >
 >  From out side the jail....

That shouldn't matter.

 > ls -kls shawxp/var/amavis/.spamBAD
 > total 13352131
 >       771 -rw-------  1 110  110           684032 Oct 15 12:02
 > auto-whitelist
 >         1 -rw-------  1 110  110               40 Oct 15 12:37 bayes.lock
 >      1284 -rw-------  1 110  110          1294336 Oct 15 12:38 bayes_seen
 >      4229 -rw-------  1 110  110          4227072 Oct 15 12:38 bayes_toks
 >   5025103 -rw-------  1 110  110     553184002048 Oct 15 12:38
 > bayes_toks.expire3515
 >   8320745 -rw-------  1 110  110  140743122878464 Oct 15 12:14
 > bayes_toks.expire97254

Ok, so those files are so-called "sparse" files, i.e. they
contain holes that don't actually occupy disk space.

The numbers in the first column indicate the amount of
physical disk space allocated (in KB).  That's about 5 GB
for the first file and 8 GB for the second (this is also
consistent with the "total" value in the first line of the
ls output, i.e. about 13 GB).

That's still quite big, but certainly not in the TB range.
I do not know why amavis creates such large sparse files,
though.

Best regards
   Oliver

In my experience the term "transparent proxy" is an oxymoron (like jumbo
shrimp).  "Transparent" proxies seem to vary from the distortions of a
funhouse mirror to barely translucent.  I really, really dislike them
when trying to figure out the corrective lenses needed with each of them.
        -- R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer