Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 13:20:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        "Peter I. Hansen" <pih@oek.dk>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: gnat-3.13p

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Peter I. Hansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install 'gnat' from FreeBSD ports. Apparently it requires
> gcc-2.8.1 , but I have gcc 2.95.3 on my 4.3 box, and the make fails.
>
> Any suggestions on how to solve this ?

Uhh, you need gcc-2.8.1.  GNAT is built and developed using a stable
gcc and undergoes extensive validation and regression testing before
it is released by its maintainers.  It _changes_ the base gcc compiler
in order to support Ada constructs.  There are reports of some folks
attempting to make the same changes to newer versions of gcc, but
this is not recommended or supported by the GNAT maintainers.

The GNAT maintainers are working on incorporating their changes
into newer gcc's, but you'll probably have to wait for one of
the next releases of GNAT for that.

--
Dan Eischen