Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:06:47 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Sam Lawrance <boris@brooknet.com.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What does BATCH=yes really mean? (portmaster vs. bpm)

Sam Lawrance wrote:
> Just hours ago I went to give sysutils/portmaster a try. An OPTIONS
> selection screen appeared on the first run.  I then ran the following
> command, thinking I could leave portmaster going and wander off:
>
> portmaster -a -m "BATCH=yes"
>
> Again an OPTIONS dialog appeared.  It seems that portmaster was running
> the command 'make BATCH=yes config', which is an interactive operation.
> I'm not sure whether this is incorrect behaviour from the 'config'
> target, or perhaps a deficiency in portmaster.  I'm sure there are easy
> ways to work around the problem, but special cases are pesky.
>
> Perhaps there are other targets for which this behaviour would be
> unexpected.  Thoughts?

I'm not sure if you implied it in the subject line, but one similar
occasion is when upgrading using sysutils/bpm. Since bpm uses
portupgrade to perform the actual work, a configuration dialog is
waiting for the user's input, but the user is unable to receive this
input and take action.

I've sent bpm's author a patch that avoids this issue in that context,
but I believe your assumption that BATCH should imply "use the default
options" is correct.

Cheers,

Panagiotis