Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:56:19 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Alex Zivenko <twistfire@rambler.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmms - problem - how to fix?

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

> I have some problem with my xmms mm player. When I'm treing to
> listen some mp3's it gives me aN error, that I don't know how to fix.
> I have KDE 3.1 if you need this info ^)
> So here it is:
> bash-2.05b$ xmms
> /dev/dsp: Device busy
> /dev/dsp: Device busy
> /* with OSS driver */
>=20
> ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device=
 busy
>=20
> ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device=
 busy
>=20
> ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device=
 busy
> /dev/dsp: Device busy

I don't know exactly, but if XmmS has an arts output plugin, you should
certainly use it, since arts is KDE's default sound daemon.

> when i'm truing ESOund driver it gives me an error
> esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
> /tmp/.esd/socket
> This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
> Exiting...

Does it work when you remove that stale socket?

If none of the above works, you can use the following command to find
out which process bocks your dsp device:

fstat | grep dsp

Regards,
 Simon

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU