Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:33:55 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fdescfs updates--coming to a devfs near you!

At 11:48 AM +0200 9/14/00, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>I must admit that I think in general that /dev/std{in,out,err}
>and /dev/fd is bogus.  It looks like something which happened
>"because we can" more than something which has a legitimate need.
>
>If anything I would propose we ditch it...

I think it is a reasonable feature to have.  It probably won't
be useful all that often, but it could be very useful in some
situations.  I know I've hit situations where I wished I could
do something like this, but I couldn't tell you an example
right this minute.

So, I wouldn't want to see fdesfs ditched, but on the other
hand I don't have any clue how to address the loose ends that
Chris mentioned in his initial message.   :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute