Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 16:28:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current AS200 state

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Thomas Valentino Crimi wrote:

>   Now that the alpha port is fairly managable from an outsiders point of
> view, I was wondering as to a few current parts of it's state, not so
> much what's in the source tree now (I watch that like a hawk ;) but you
> developer's intentions over the next month.  I'd like to try my hand at
> any of the necessary points on the AS200 if I can.
>
>   E2 support - NetBSD has it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to port?
>
>   Floppy/Sound - Only linux has this, it's a long-shot for me, but if I can
>       get E2 to work, it'd be a good finishing point, no?
>

>   My question is, of course, is this on anyone's near-term ToDo list?
> I'm wondering if many Alpha's have much care for the latter, but from
> what I've seen many are shipped with E2/E3 cards and video display is
> always nice 8).

Right now there is no TGA support at all, let alone E2 (I am assuming this
is a TGA card?).  It should be possible to hammer it into syscons though
since with the recent vesa support, it can handle bitmapped console
displays fairly easily.

Floppy support would involve implementing the necessary hooks for ISA DMA
(probably hard) and porting the fd driver to the new bus interface (pretty
easy).  Sound support is mostly a DMA issue too.

Neither of these things are on my near-term todo list - I'm still
struggling hard with 'make release' :-).  If you want to tackle either of
these jobs (or anything else on my whiteboard for that matter) then please
go ahead and don't hesitate to contact me with questions if you don't
understand anything.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039