Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:02:04 -0400
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        blackfriar <blackfriar@inhio.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS within a Jail?!

blackfriar wrote:
> Hi everybody!
> I'm wondering if it's possible to run in a "clear fashion" an NFS server
> within a jail on FreeBSD 9.0.
>
> I'm having some issues that make me think this is not supposed to work.
> I've googled it but I couldn't find much especially on releases prior
> 5!!
>
> A quick tip would be great .... I don't really wanna waste hours on this
> not very relevant issue.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Quick answer is "No, NFS only runs on the host system".

Long answer is; NFS requires rpcbind to function. rpcbind is dependent
on a network stack. Jails do not have their own network stack, they use
the hosts network stack. There is some experimental software to give
each jail its own network stack but I sure would not deploy a production
system based on this.