Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:12:32 +0300
From:      Aleksander Alekseev <afiskon@devzen.ru>
To:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended laptop for FreeBSD 10.2 Xfce workstation?

Hello, David

Take a look on Fujitsu laptops, e.g. E733 (there are also many other
models like this one). These concrete model seems to satisfy your
requirements. Currently I'm running Ubuntu on it. But I don't see a
reason why there should be any problem with FreeBSD since hardware
seems to be compatible. Not sure regarding Wi-Fi though, but there are
cheap and very small USB adapters like TP-LINK TL-WN725N and Edimax
EW-7811Un that could solve this issue, see this list:

https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/support.html

Anyway you can usually check a laptop before paying for it. Also
consider Apple laptops.

Please note that you should use CURRENT branch use Intel GPUs at
maximum especially OpenGL capabilities. There is also sometimes tricky
to boot FreeBSD installer on todays laptops because of features like
Fast Startup and Secure Boot. Here are some hints that can help you
with that: https://goo.gl/7HAaDE

Also I would like to recommend these articles:

* https://unrelenting.technology/articles/freebsd-on-the-thinkpad-x240
* http://eax.me/freebsd-on-desktop-v2/ (use Google Translate)

--
Best regards,