Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 19:59:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP firmware compiled in as a default....

As Matthew Jacob wrote ...

> > Did you have both internal AND external devices on the same KZPBA card?
> > FYI: we (== Compaq) don't support this. Obviously this decision is based
> > on the f/w that is in the SRM code. Tests have shown it really does not
> > work well when both internal and external devices are present on the same
> > card. YMMV of course and I obviously don't know what was biting you.
>
> Wasn't a standard KZPBA, but that's not the high order bit. If the f/w
> figures out there's something on both internal and external connectors,
> it's supposed to drop the pullups. That's why the 7.65 f/w is a lot better
> than the 5.XXX f/w- in this case.

Hm. Well the reasons I heared within Compaq was that they did not
like the signal quality on the SCSI bus when both internal and external
devices are present. Ultra SCSI speeds obviously make this worse, as
do marginal cables etc.

> > > So, I'm in a bit of a quandary now as to what the right thing to do is.
> >
> > Don't shoot me: the right thing to do is to make it possible to boot
>
> ... I won't shoot you, but it doesn't help me answer the question of
> 'should f/w be compiled in by default'. I suppose Mike answered it best
> about checking sizes.

Clearer answer: my vote is to include the 1040 f/w

> > Hm. The DEC-sanctioned cards (as far as SRM booting goes, so for
> > system disks) only use 1040's if I'm not mistaken. So this might be the
> > most practical short-term solution. How much would 1040-only f/w
> > add to the installation kernel ?
>
> Actually, the latest 4100 f/w (at least the one I installed at NASA/Ames)
> recognizes the 2100, but won't boot from it. Nyah, Nyah! PTI PCI-470

Probably SRM is picky somehow.