Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2011 13:13:52 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   link aggregation - bundling 2 lagg interfaces together

Hello list,

I have a firewall with 2x Intel pro dual port cards.

On Intel A , port 1 goes to switch 1, port 2 goes to switch 2
On Intel B , port 1 goes to switch 1, port 2 goes to switch 2

I have created the following 2 lagg devices using LACP:

lagg0 = A1 + B1
lagg1 = A2 + B2

This works fine.

Now, what I had in mind was creating a lagg2 device using lagg0 and
lagg1 with failover.

That would provide redundancy in case of a switch failure.

ifconfig won't let me though:

# ifconfig lagg2 laggproto failover laggport lagg0 laggport lagg1
ifconfig: SIOCSLAGGPORT: Invalid argument

I suppose it's not possible to aggregate lagg interfaces ?

That would shatter my dreams :(