Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 01:00:19 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?I=F1aky_P=E9rez_Gonz=E1lez?= <inaky@peloncho.fis.ucm.es>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Development of a UNIX-wide USB standard API

        Hi

        I'm the developer of the Linux USB Driver Stack. I wanted to
let you know there's some interest at the USB Implementors Forum in
the creation of a UNIX-wide USB API standard, and we'd like all
flavours of Unix to attend.

        For the case you don't know what USB is (if you do, please
skip this paragraph): USB is the Universal Serial Bus, developed by a
consortim of vendors (all the "fatcats"). If features plug'n'play, hot
pluggin, tree structure, synchronous and asynchronous operation with
guaranteed bandwidth and two speeds, with a maximum of 127 devices per
physical bus. You can find more detailed info at http://www.usb.org.

        Initially I was developing a Linux-only driver, however I
started to try to make it portable to other free OSes. Anyhow, one day
the suggestion of a UNIX USB compatible API raised and we are trying
to get something done. Initially we are just calling people to join
and give ideas (actually interested parties have something done). As a
start, there's interest for this from Solaris, Digital Unix and from
me, for the Linux side (please mind that the commercial vendors still
don't have an `official' position on this as it is still on it's very
first discussions).

        If you are somehow interested, please drop me a mail.

        Thanks for your time

P.S.: Please, could you forward this mail to the OpenBSD people and any
      other interested parties from BSD?

--

          Linux-USB! http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/USB.html -
                                                                -