Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 00:58:53 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua
Cc:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, khansen@njcc.com, "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>, hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A web-based FreeBSD configuration tool.

>   Interesting, that after posting  info about alpha-version of my GUI
> config tool,I receive  only one feedback  from  wich, who actually test
> it.

Well, I did actually test it myself when you first announced it but,
to be perfectly honest, there were so few actual configuration screens
currently implemented that I thought "hmmmm, nice idea but not enough
here to see whether it's going to work out in actual practice or not
so I will come back and look at it when there is more here."

Perhaps that was unfair, but I think that's probably an accurate
summation of how most folks will look at it.  For what it's worth the
same thing happened to "FreEasy" from our friends in Holland.  It was
complete enough to make some folks think "hmm, interesting!" but not
complete enough to get folks raving about it loudly enough to get
everyone else to jump in and look at it.  In order to really catch the
public attention with a configuration tool, you need to be able to
configure enough stuff to be useful to the "working system
administrator" in his daily job.  That seems to be the case with all
the other successful tools I've seen, anyway, and whether that's a
nice situation or not it's also the way things simply are. :-(

					Jordan