Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:18:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
To:        Joe Gleason <freebsd.list@bug.tasam.com>
Cc:        "Mr. K." <bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hackers?

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Joe Gleason wrote:

> I would suspect spaming through your system.

I wouldn't suspect any relaying currently happening, especially if you've
upgraded to sendmail 8.9.x and (presumably) updated your sendmail.cf file.
You're probably experiencing the backlash from the initial relaying in the
form of bouncing messages, refused messages, etc.  The large-scale relay
abuses that I've witnessed have almost always seemed to generate
significant machine loads in the resulting aftermath.  I don't know if
this is characteristic or not, but the quality of some spammer address
lists seems to be about 50% bad addresses (or worse).

You may have to turn off sendmail (if possible) for a while until the
backlash blows over.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@iserver.com        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/