Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:02:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tom Duffey <tduffey@wi.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM Netfinity 3500 SMP problem

Dear Fellow FreeBSD Users and Developers,

I'm attempting to make FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE run with SMP support on the
aforementioned Netfinity machine.  The kernel boots fine w/o SMP, but
hangs somewhere after "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
down" appears.  I've checked the archives and see many mentions of similar
trouble but no solutions or conclusions.  Any help is appreciated.

The kernel works w/o SMP and I'm using the defaults when attempting to
boot with SMP.  Here is the mptable output:

MPTable, version 2.0.15

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     EBDA
  physical address:             0x0009e1d0
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xd6
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x0009e1e0
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            244
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xef
  OEM ID:                       'IBM ENSW'
  Product ID:                   'NF 6000R SMP'
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  22
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        168
  extended table checksum:      117

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step
Flags
                 3       0x11    BSP, usable     6       8       3
0x0301
                 0       0x11    AP, usable      6       8       3
0x0301
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       PCI
                 1       PCI
                 2       ISA
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                14       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
                13       0x11    usable          0xfec01000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID
PIN#
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     1         14
1
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     0         14
2
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     3         14
3
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     4         14
4
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     6         14
6
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     7         14
7
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     8         14
8
                INT      conforms    conforms        2    12         14
12
                INT      conforms    conforms        2    13         14
13
                INT      conforms    conforms        2    14         14
14
                INT      conforms    conforms        0   2:A         13
11
                INT      conforms    conforms        0  15:A         14
10
                INT      conforms    conforms        1   3:A         13
12
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID
PIN#

MP Config Extended Table Entries:

--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xd0000
 address range: 0x10000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xfd000000
 address range: 0x3000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: prefetch address
 address base: 0xf0000000
 address range: 0xd000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 1 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xee000000
 address range: 0x2000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 1 address type: prefetch address
 address base: 0x8000000
 address range: 0xe6000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address

# SMP kernel config file options:

# Required:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional (built-in defaults will work in most cases):
#options                NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options                NBUS=3                  # number of busses
#options                NAPIC=2                 # number of IO APICs
#options                NINTR=24                # number of INTs