Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:34:08 +0100
From:      Richard Jones <rjones@imcl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NIS from a Linux server

annexia  Linux 2.0.25 (RedHat 4.0)
virgil   FreeBSD 2.2.1-release

Oh dear! More problems with accessing a Linux server from
FreeBSD.

I managed to configure the FreeBSD box as a NIS client by
editing /etc/sysconfig. I also added '+' to the end of
/etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group. After rebooting,
I can see the NIS password maps using "ypcat passwd", ie:

	% ypcat passwd
	joe:XYZ:504:504::/home/joe:/bin/bash
	ian::503:503::/home/ian:/bin/bash
	bill:ABC:500:500::/home/bill:/bin/bash

(Names changed to protect the innocent ...)

However, I can't log in. I understand that there's an incompatibility
with Linux in that Linux uses DES to encrypt passwords, whereas
FreeBSD uses MD5 by default. However, on this machine, I
selected DES encryption during the install, and
/usr/lib/libcrypt.* -> /usr/lib/libdescrypt.*.

So I should be using DES on this box already? True?

However, I can't even log in as "ian" (who doesn't have a
password). So it doesn't seem to be a DES/MD5 problem at all.

Any help much appreciated.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones  rjones@imcl.com  Tel: +44 171 460 4460  Fax: .. 4461
ABLE INmEDIA Ltd.  262a Fulham Rd.  London  SW10 9EL.  "you'll write in