Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 16:51:11 +0930
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: Bridging problems.. (WaveLan related?)

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 01:56:51AM -0500, Chris Csanady wrote:

 > It never fails..  I always post stuff just minutes too soon.
 > Anyways, it seems that the problem is with the WaveLan network.
 > In ad-hoc, or infrastructure mode, the card can only send
 > frames with its own mac address as the source.  Apparrently,
 > the card needs to be set up as an access point (or something)
 > to do bridging.

You can make it run as an access point... if and only if you're prepared
to produce an 802.11 protocol suite to run in the FreeBSD kernel, because
you won't be able to use the one in the card's firmware.

Of course, if you want to do something as insane as that, I'm sure your
efforts will be welcommed with open legs^H^H^H^Harms.  Being able to
replace an access point with a FreeBSD box which costs a third as much
would be tres cool.  This is particularly true in the case of the
Aironet 802.11 gear, which has even worse restrictions wrt bridging
and even more expensive access points.

(FWIW:  With the Aironet kit, when you place the card into "monitor
mode" you can't transmit frames at all).

    - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton@atdot.dotat.org  (H)