Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2007 23:42:14 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sysinstall creates corrupt filesystems after repartitioning

I've been repartitioning some of our machines here and
found that using the following method sysinstall creates
corrupt filesystems.

1. Boot a machine using an nfs mounted /usr
2. Run: sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16 to enable writing
to the disk mbr
3. run sysinstall, Customise -> Label
4. Delete the /usr partition e.g. /dev/da0s1f
5. Create two partitions from the space left as ufs with
mount points /usr and /data
6. Write the changes.

Now two strange things happen:
1. /usr ends up mounted twice once from nfs and once
from the new ufs. This requires umount -f /dev/da0s1f to
correct but doesnt always work properly requiring a reboot
to restore system functionality.
2. The FS on both partitions is totally corrupt even fsck
cant repair them, even after a reboot.

So the question is why would sysinstall create two corrupt
FS's with this procedure?

Fixing is trivial just rerun the newfs commands and all
is good but its really odd that they should be corrupt
in the first place and caught me out big time when I first
did this as I had restored a full dump back onto /usr
and rebooted only for it to blow up horribly as the fs
was so badly corrupted.

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.