Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 2020 13:39:31 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz>
Subject:   auto partitioning

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> writes;

>   I tried installing FreeBSD (12.2 release, amd64) on one of my
>   laptops (after years of using OpenBSD almost exclusively, so
>   please bare with me).  Full dmesg below.
>
>   Taking the easy way, I opted for the auto partitioning in the
>   installer, which apparently creates one huge partition spanning
>   the whole disk.
>
>   Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>   /dev/ada0s1a    285G    7.1G    255G     3%    /
>   devfs           1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
>
>   Is that intended? I got used to separating /usr, /var/, /tmp and
>   /home for various reasons. Is one big partition the preferred way
>   to do things in FreeBSD?

	Short answer: you asked for the easy way; you got the easy way.
	My guess is anything else involves variables and decisions that
are - and probably should remain - beyond the scope of the installer.
	I haven't done "the easy way" since version 3, if not earlier.
But I can explain why, and I'm willing to put in the time.

			Respectfully,

				Robert Huff

--

Hello ... my name is SARS-CoV-2.