Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 18:57:31 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Erik Moe <emoe@mmcable.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Purpose of /dev/cd0a and /dev/cd0c?

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 04:54:43PM -0600, Erik Moe wrote:
> What is the significance of the two devices /dev/cd0a and /dev/cd0c, or
> /dev/acd0a and /dev/acd0c for that matter?  This is not explained in the
> man pages or the handbook.  Why would you use one and not the other?
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

Well, historically the c partition is used to refer to the entire
disk.  That would be the technically correct nomenclature to use.  I
didn't do too much digging, but I imagine the a partition exists as
mount tries to make the cdrom look as much like a normal filesystem as
possible.  I believe it goes so far as to emulate a disklabel for it,
which is why the a partition exists.  Of course, in the case of a
cdrom there's no difference.  (although I suppose you could do some
jUjU and create a cd with multiple partitions)

Josh