Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 23:15:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      cwasser@v-wave.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Samba issues...

      OS: FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE
  System: P2-350 with 128MB RAM
Compiler: GCC 2.7.2.1 (was not compiled but installed as FreeBSD
          precompiled port off the CD)

 To whom it may concern, we are currently trying to provide a free
alternative using Samba to our clients who are currently using Windows98
workstations and a NT 4.0 server. We have samba up and running and it
works extremely well, however we have run into one issue which we
ourselves do not seem to be able to resolve. Our setup is as follows:

-  7 Windows98 workstations running TCP/IP with Microsoft Client for
   Microsoft Networks with "Use NetBIOS over TCP/IP" enabled [the
   check mark is greyed out but enabled]
-  One FreeBSD server running Samba 2.0.3 using TCP/IP transport
   and no other network protocol.

 Samba works fine, clients can connect and authorize to Samba and use
both file and printing services. Clients without a valid login cannot
connect to Samba (and this is fine too). The problem is (as you can see
listed below in /samba/public) if I use a workstation to create a document
and regardless whether I save it or not, another client can access the
file and make changes and even delete the file while the original
workstation has the file open. Basically, there is no filelocking
happening. We absolutely must have filelocking just incase our clients
software isn't smart enough to determine whether the file/record in
question is opened and locked or not. We've tested with some DOS based
Point of Sale software and it DOES recognize the file as being locked but
we assume it was handled internally by that software. The workstations
however do not see the file as being locked and merrily delete/modify the
open file.

 Now while it pains me as a Unix enthusiast the say this, but I read only
enough of the documentation to get samba up and running and get the
printer queues working. This coming up week we are planning to deploy this
server and need a working solution or a workaround. I have included my
smb.conf and a output of the directory listing.

 One other thing should this help, Samba is setup to use the default
account "nobody" (of group "nogroup") as the guest account. /samba itself
exists on it's own partition and is owned by root:wheel and Samba was
instructed to create a home directory for each user based on their unix
account (we simply create a homedirectory for them under /samba and Samba
merrily uses it, and no one but the own of the directory can see this,
we're very happy with this setup) ... But we need filelocking capabilities
on /samba/public where our clients will be storing their network database
which the workstations will be accessing.

 Their original setup was a slow-poke Lantastic network and it supports
file locking and I'm having a hard time believing that Unix cannot in this
suituation. Any help by you folks would be EXTREMELY appriciated.

 Thanks,
 Chris Wasser.
 CMD Micro Services Inc.

[global]
  workgroup = WORKGROUP
  server string = Bedrock Server
  hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
  load printers = yes
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  printing = bsd
  guest account = nobody
  log file = /var/log/log.%m
  max log size = 50
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
  os level = 33
  preferred master = yes
  domain logins = yes
  deadtime = 1
  logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
  dns proxy = no

  # Added to try to do filelocking
  read predicition = yes
  lock directory = /var/spool/lock
  locking = yes
  oplocks = False
  share modes = yes
  strict locking = yes
  blocking locks = False
  ole locking compatibility = yes

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  path = /samba/home/%U
  browseable = no
  writeable = yes

[Profiles]
  path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
  browseable = no
  guest ok = yes

[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/spool/samba
  browseable = no
  guest ok = no
  writable = no
  printable = yes

[public]
  comment = Public Share
  path = /samba/public
  public = yes
  only guest = yes
  writable = yes
  printable = no

[cdrom]
  comment = Network CDROM
  path = /samba/cdrom
  root preexec = /sbin/mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0a /samba/cdrom
  public = yes
  only guest = yes
  writable = no
  printable = no
  locking = yes
  root postexec = /sbin/umount /samba/cdrom

Directory output of /samba:
total 69
 1 drwxr-xr-x   5 root    wheel        512 May  4 17:20 ./
 1 drwxr-xr-x  19 root    wheel        512 May  6 16:06 ../
 1 drwxr-xr-x   2 root    wheel        512 May  4 17:20 cdrom/
 1 drwxr-xr-x   4 root    wheel        512 May  6 16:06 home/
 1 drwxr-xr-x   2 nobody  nogroup      512 May  8 12:28 public/

Directory output of /samba/cdrom:
total 2
 1 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 May  4 17:20 ./
 1 drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  512 May  4 17:20 ../

Directory output of /samba/home:
total 4
 1 drwxr-xr-x  4 root     wheel  512 May  6 16:06 ./
 1 drwxr-xr-x  5 root     wheel  512 May  4 17:20 ../
 1 drwxr-xr-x  2 bedrock  users  512 May  6 16:06 bedrock/
 1 drwxr-xr-x  2 tdf      users  512 May  7 15:50 tdf/

Directory out of /samba/public:
total 3
 1 drwxr-xr-x  2 nobody  nogroup  512 May  8 12:28 ./
 1 drwxr-xr-x  5 root    wheel    512 May  4 17:20 ../
 1 -rwxr--r--  1 nobody  nogroup   15 May  8 12:28 test.txt*

--
This is a copy of the letter I sent to the Samba guys but I figure I'd try
posting it here too... Any help would be greatly appriciated.