Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:49:13 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
Cc:        Steve Burton <steve@sliderule.demon.co.uk>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA VT6103 Ethernet Controller Question

Barry Pederson wrote:
> Steve Burton wrote:
>  > Hi.
>  >
>  > The latest (M Series) Via mini-itx motherboard come with integrated VIA
>  > VT6103 ethernet i/f.
>  >
>  > I'm not familiar with this chip, is it likely to be supported?
>
> The first-generation VIA mini-ITX boards also have VT6103 (according to
> their website and the printed manual that comes with the board), but it
> shows up in dmesg as VT6102.  Maybe that's why it's not working so well,
> if the 6103 is close enough to 6102 to only sort of work.
>
> So I'd guess that the M Series mboards will be in basically the same
> boat as the first EPIAs.

Oops, guess the 6103 is just a tranceiver, the 6102 is the controller - the
two go together.

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/datasheet/DS6103110.pdf

which explains why the old EPIA boards show up as VT6102 in dmesg, even
though the website and manual only mentions VT6103.  I think I'll shut up
now (but I'd still guess the EPIA-M networking is the same as the plain EPIA)

	Barry