Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 23:48:48 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        KentH@HNS.St-Louis.Mo.US
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer), terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> I *strongly* disagree with you.  If I change the dev's on my firewall
> I expect 'em to damn well stay changed and the first time they don't
> I first go searching for the person that hacked the firewall, then
> finding nothing, I dump it and rebuild it from scratch assuming that
> I've just been badly beaten at my game.  Now you tell me that they won't
> stay that way?  I dump it and get a new o/s.

FWIW, this is almost word-for-word what the folks at USENIX told me
and Julian will almost certainly never convince me that this is a
problem that can be dismissed lightly.  I will fight long and hard for
compatibility because I happen to think that I'm 100% right about how
users will feel about this, and if no one else will speak for them,
I will.

					Jordan