Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:03:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Shumway <cshumway@titan-project.org>
To:        Robert Herrold <bob@metropark.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: telnet Exploit

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Robert Herrold wrote:

> I have never used cvsup before, and I'm a little confused about the
> current possible patch/fix.
>
> First off, is there a 'patch/fix/replacement for telnetd'
> (/usr/libexec/telnetd).

Yes.

> If so, would that be included in the cvsup?

As long as your CVSUping the soruce code distribution that contains telnetd's
source code, then yes, your getting pretty much what the patch for telnetd
contains.

> Secondly, I've read through the cvsup documentation, and I'm a little
> unclear on whether it is basically just downloading source, or is it
> adding the packages. (do I need to recompile?)

CVSUp updates your local source code repository with that on the CVSUp server
you are using.  It does not install binaries anywhere on the system. So, yes
you will have to recompile telnetd after cvsuping.

---
Christopher Shumway				cshumway@titan-project.org
						cshumway@freebsd.org