Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:59:22 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter de Koning <p.d.de.koning@freeler.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD handbook causes Linux-netscape to crash

On 2002-03-19 23:49, Peter de Koning wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I want to tell you that the html version of your FreeBSD handbook (from
> book.html.tar.gz) could cause Linux using netscape to crash. On my
> system, a P 200 MMX with 32 meg RAM and 43 meg RAMdisk, opening your html
> handbook filled the entire RAM and RAMdisk, wich caused my system to
> crash.

Since Netscape is a memory greedy program, you would probably find it nicer
to download the split HTML version of the docs.  It's much lighter than the
'single html' version.  The Handbook is a large document.  Printer on paper
it took more than 700 pages last time I checked.  Loading this in Netscape
running on a machine with little RAM and not enough swap space is going to
exchaust all physical and swap memory pretty soon.  There is nothing wrong
with the Handbook :P

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/