Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 20:59:13 +0200
From:      Simon Siemonsma <simon.freebsd@hccnet.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE vs. GNOME || GNOME vs. KDE

On Saturday 03 August 2002 18:34, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 11:55:52AM -0400, MET wrote:
> > So what's the big difference?  How would one go about choosing which to
> > run?
> >
> > - Matthew
>
> Try them both and see which one you like best, is probably the best
> advice.  Some might find KDE a bit too Windows-like, but it does come with
> a pretty reasonable set of applications and utilities, and doesn't intrude
> too much -- just the one bar at the bottom of the screen, the way I have it
> set up.  The last time I used Gnome was a couple of years ago on a RedHat 6
> box; it crashed on me almost daily so I went back to WindowMaker and
> haven't used it since... I imagine it provides pretty much the same
> functionality as KDE though.

After installing both KDE and GNOME from the ports I prefered KDE very much.
As far as I know KDE has the lead at the moment. KDE seems the better desktop
environment where GNOME has some better apps. GNOME apps run on KDE however
and programming for KDE should be much easer so this situation is improving.

> KDE & Gnome are both pretty heavyweight -- I'll hazard a guess and say that
> anything much less than a 700MHz machine with 256MB of RAM and a decent
> graphics adapter won't really be up to the task of running them.

I'm having a 350 Mhz PII and are perfectly happy with KDE.