Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:03:22 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mark asks: How should I partition/slice for appliance?

Howdy All!

I'm about to istall 4.5 on another box. While I use the other box, email
is not accessable (until I'm successful that is).

I've looked at the "FreeBSD Handbook" and it doesn't have help for
building an appliance. Here's the particulars:

gateway + firewall + mail-server + www-server + ftp-server + LAN file
server.

2 ethernet cards
#1 - connects to my wintel box. PPPoE?
#2 - connects to this building's gateway. PPPoE for this too?

Memory: 24 MB
Disk: 840 MB

Emphasis: This is just to be an appliance. CLI only. LAN interface for
configuration, account management, etc. via cgi.

What are your recommendations for the sizes of:

/
(swap)
/var
/tmp
/usr -- I know... the rest of the disk, right?

What are your recommendations for these:

gateway
firewall
mail server (sendmail? or something else?)
www server (apache?)
ftp server
LAN file server (samba?)

Note: Sendmail, apache, and samba are just words to me until I gain some
experience. Don't assume that because I know the words, I know what I'm
talking about.

This appliance will mainly act as a firewall, and www host (fixed ip), and
as a backup for my wintel box (and vice versa).

I'm a raw newbie (but pretty nubile 8^).

I will be standing by for 20 minutes and then... it's off to UNIX-land to
do an install based on my best guess and any help I get beforehand. Thanks
for any help/advice you can give.

Ciao -- Mark
--
See my resume: http://home.earthlink.net/~filipak/resume/