Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 1995 00:19:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jaykuri@interaccess.com>
To:        Lisa Cozzens <lcozzens@gateway.us.sidwell.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X problem...

> xf86config multiple times and reverted to a "safe"  /etc/XF86Config to no
> avail, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware config problem.  What happens
> is if I type startx, X seems to load OK and I even see the default screen
> with the little "x" mouse cursor, but before olvwm kicks in, X exits with
> no error message and returns me to the prompt.
    Sounds to me like an xinit problem.  In your .xinitrc file you have
to make sure that one of the programs named is not backgrounded.
Basically X shuts down as soon as the last program called in .xinitrc
quits.  If you have no programs here or you have them all in
the background, X will quit just as you described.  Remember, whatever
program you don't put into the background will be the one that will shut
down X.  If you ran an xclock as your foreground process (no '&') X would
not quit until you killed Xclock.

   Hope this is the answer,
Jay K.