Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:42:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmkind.lnk.telstra.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslog Question

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Brendan Kosowski wrote:

> I was a Linux user but have now changed to FreeBSD. I noticed that with
> Linux, any TELNET or FTP activity was logged to /var/log/messages.
>
> I noticed that FreeBSD does not log TELNET or FTP activity to
> /var/log/messages.
>
> My syslog.conf is very simple :
>
> *.info		/var/log/messages
>

> This worked fine on Linux.

`man ftpd` and `man syslog.conf`

In inetd.conf the ftpd line should have the following switches:  -l -l -S
(The first -l logs anonymous connections, the second -l logs transfers,
and -S logs everything.)

in syslog.conf:

#!ftpd
*.*			/var/log/ftpd

You'll need to touch /var/log/ftpd into existance if it doesn't already
exist.  You can of course have log to messages instead...

Not sure about telnet...