Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:06:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI WinModem

Wes Peters wrote:

>Most PCI modems are "WinModems" and are not supported under FreeBSD
>anything.anything.  They are nasty little pieces of trash foisted
>on people who don't know better by hardware charlatans.

In defence of PCI WinModem's, I just built a machine (Cyrix MII-300)
put in a PCI WinModem which cost $20 after rebate, and it works
just great under Win98 - downloaded some stuff at about 5.5KB/sec
(~= 45000 bits/sec, 85% of the theoretical limit of 53000bits/sec).
This is substantially faster than I get with my "real" modem under
FreeBSD (maxes out at about 4.5KB/sec).

Economically and technically, from my (admittedly meagre) experience
I'd say WinModem's are a neat solution - if you only run Windows
(like 95%+ of users).  Don't knock it just because FreeBSD can't
support it (yet).

Richard Cownie (tich@ma.ikos.com)