Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:05:46 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Rick Updegrove <dislists@updegrove.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current qmail-scanner port with clamav and f-prot fails on 4testvirus.org messages

Rick Updegrove wrote:
> The current qmail-scanner port with clamav and f-prot both scanning for
> viruses fails on 4 of the testvirus.org messages.
>
> #20, #21, #23, and #25
> All get through and land in my inbox.
>
> portupgrade -rva says I am all up to date.
>
> A virus scanner that only stops *some* of the older viruses is um...
> silly?  Ok it is not really silly, but it hardly seems worth the effort
> to maintain a port that has to be manually patched etc.

At least in the case of ClamAV, one ought to run freshclam on a regular basis,
and the port provides a daemon which will keep your definitions up-to-date
automaticly.

If your complaint is that neither vendor's most recent definitions fail to
catch some known viruses, that's a different problem, which you should discuss
with the vendors directly, since that has little to do with FreeBSD ports.

--
-Chuck