Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:30:35 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "David Newman" <dnewman@networktest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: dealing with a failing drive

Hi David,  apologies to Jerry for jumping in.

Compaq uses several RAID cards most are under the so-called
"SmartArray" using the ida driver.  If this is yours, you can
use a utility called "idacontrol" that can monitor the array,
here's the instructions for using it.  You will need usrsbin
sources installed:

) Install idacontrol

cd /usr/ports
mkdir distfiles
cd /usr/ports/distfiles
mkdir manual-build
cd manual-build
fetch ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/idacontrol.tar
cd /usr/src
tar xf /usr/ports/distfiles/manual-build/idacontrol.tar

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/idacontrol

vi makefile  change variable NOMAN to NO_MAN
make obj && make depend && make && make install

cd

idacontrol show | grep "Status"

IF status is fully up it will say:

IF status is degraded it will say 1 of several other error messages.

More on PR i386/70482
and on thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2005-September/002009.html

NOTE:

The smart utility only works on SATA or ATA/IDE drives, not SCSI.

Ted