Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 00:16:17 -0700
From:      jameswu@SoftHome.net
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie: What Network Driver

Hi, I recently downloaded and installed FreeBSD. I am quite new to
the Linux/Unix systems and would like some guidance.

I followed all of the rules of the installation guide. Before the
installation I had made a hardware inventory list as according to the
instructions, and I for my ethernet adapter I have a NetGear FA311
Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter with IRQ 09 and I/O port 3800-38FF. I
searched in the hardware listings and found it in the National
Semiconductor DP83815 Fast Ethernet NICs section under a sis
driver.

In the kernal setup in the beginning of the installation, I chose "Start
kernel configuration in full-screen visual mode", and collapsed the
driver list.There I see 5 network adapters. However none of the
drivers seems to be sis.

So I began experimenting with the two possible adapters, the
NE2000 PCMCIA with ed driver and another driver (don't
remember its name but it is sn). I (one only at a time of course, not
simultaneosly) configured their IRQ port to 09 and did not change
their I/O range. They obviously did not work, but I am confused as I
received different responses. For the NE2000 on 0-300 I/O and set
up the network, nothing responded - (1. Trying to enable DHCP
returned errors, and 2. when I manually enter the information LYNX
responded with "Host cannot be reached", and 3. No ping requests
were returned), so I decided that it wasn't the right driver. Next I
tried the sn one, changed IRQ port to 09 but did not touch the I/O
port which IIRC was set default at 280. The results - DHCP
returned errors, when input by hand LYNX responded with Looking
up host and stopping in that stage, and no ping requests were
returned either.

I am now quite confused. I never touched the I/O ports settings
which was set at default of 300 and 280 for the NE2000 and ns
respectively, while it was 3800-38FF (different format?) on
windows. If both adaptors were wrongly configured (which I
suppose they have to be) then why did they return with different
results?

As I am an extreme newbie please enlighten me on this matter. I
will greatly appreciate any help.

- James