Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:57:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kmem, tty, bind security enhancements commit.

:>     Now that everyone is backfrom thanksgiving and 2.2.8 is out the
:>     door, I'd like to commit the following changes to -current.  These
:>     are as previously discussed and the changes have also been running
:>     on most of BEST's machines for a couple of weeks now so I'd like
:>     to commit them.
:>
:>     I'd like someone to sign off on the concept.  Eivind?  Bruce?  Jordan?
:
:[on running identd as kmem, ntalkd as tty, and bind as bind/bind]
:
:Sounds good to me, as long as it does not require changes to existing
:installations (which I couldn't see it needing from your description).  I'm
:somewhat surprised at the getuid() test in ntalkd being there at all - it
:...

    Excellent.  I'll commit it in.  I don't expect it will have any effect
    on pre-existing systems since most people customize their
    passwd/group/inetd.conf files rather then sync them from /usr/src/etc

						    -Matt

:Eivind.

:with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)