Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:49:33 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, phk@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: VMware X11 and -current

>> >At this point we must still be in freebsd xinit, then XF86_VMware(linux
>> >server) get started.  I'm running a linux X server under freebsd.  Under
>> >3.2R all I had to do was change the symlink for X to point to XF86_VMware,
>> >under -current /dev/tty0 can't be found.
>> >
>> >Where was linux "/dev/tty0" coming from under emulation in 3.2R, the
>> >kernel device struct changed under -current?
>> >
>> >I made these symlinks as suggested, ttyp0 -> tty0 and ttyp4 -> tty4 gave
>>                                      ~~~~~             ~~~~~
>> Symlinks should be ttyv0 -> tty0 and ttyv4 -> tty4.
>>
>> Notice ttyv*, not ttyp*
>>           ~          ~
>Hello
>
>	I had tried it both ways, when I said having them symlinked to
>ttyv0 and ttyv4 would panic with "fatal trap 12" It was suggested that I
>use ttyp0 and ttyp4 respectfully.

I don't think ttyp* will work.  I don't know who suggested it to you.
I have never run Linux X server binaries on FreeBSD, but, I can assure
you that ttyp* won't work.

The ttyp* refers to the "pseudo" tty.  The Linux X server opens tty0
and tty4 which are "virtual terminals" in Linux.  Virtual terminals
are named ttyv* in FreeBSD.  If the Linux X server are ever made to
work in FreeBSD, it must be ttyv* which the X server should be fooled
to access.

VT_ACTIVATE, VT_WAITACTIVE and VT_GETMODE ioctls are valid only for
virtual terminals ttyv* and certainly result in error for pseudo ttys.

I suspect that the fatal trap you are seeing has little to do with
ttyv* symlinks and the real culprit lies somewhere else.

Kazu