Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:58:29 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: if_fxp status?

Dear All,

:-)

> > > its been discussed several times on this list. No need to
> > > go into it again.
> >
> > Then why the hell are you posting if there is no need to go
> > into it again?
> > It is extremely bad form to post asking for something
> > without supplying
> > details or at least a pointer to where they are (msgid's etc).

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/159/2000/12/0/4775943/

There are other threads, of course, but this is the longest and contains all
the technical information you may need.

> > There are other people who can fix it, but they cannot do
> > anything if you
> > refuse to supply all the precise details in an easy to access form.

I am willing to ship an offending fxp card to whoever offers to fix this
problem. We have about 9 useless cards left, IIRC. The 10th is currently on
David Greenman's desk.

> > If you are unwilling to do that, then stop bothering us!
>
> Indeed, I think Dennis could solve two problems by just dropping
> FreeBSD right away.

Dennis seems to have a knack for rubbing everyone else the wrong way, David
said he'd fix this and hasn't. We all know this, so let's please leave it at
that. Let's separate the technical issues from the personal ones.

I'd love to see this fixed and I offer all I can to help: hardware and
testing time.

If someone could detail the problem in highly technical terms this might
trigger someone else to offer another piece of the puzzle.

What does the message "unsupported PHY" mean?

How would one go about tracking down the properties of the PHY?

How does Linux/NetBSD/OpenBSD/Windows/Solaris solve this?

What halfassed fixes or pointers do we have already?

    Kees Jan