Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:36:38 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum performance testing...

At 03:45 AM 9/16/99 +0800, Michael Robinson wrote:
>Also, keep in mind that vinum does very little in the way of sanity checking.
>It's very happy to trash your data if you tell it to do something even a
>little bit unusual.

Like anything it will only do what you tell it, so in a way I'm of agreement.

>After getting seriously burned (fortunately, during initial system
>configuration), I've sworn off vinum for any sort of critical production
>use.

When was this?  What were you trying do?

Not long back I decided to add a plex to a volume.  There isn't any
specific documentation or example for this.  Having read the docs several
dozen times over the past year made me pretty sure of how to do this.

In short the first couple time ended up munging the vinum lable for the
exisiting plex and "losing" my data.  Since nothing was written to the
volume it was possible to redo the labels.  Presto!  Everything was still
present.  Then wiped out the new plex, started over, and had the new plex
running.  The data synchronized much faster than I expected and hardly
touched the CPU at all.  In fact it didn't seem to be running a first glance.

Don't see how you could get "burned" on an initial setup unless you did
something wrong such as labeling the wrong drive or overwriting an existing
filesystem.

>Raw performance is only one factor in the equation.

Ease of use would be another and vinum isn't the easiest thing to use at
first, but at least the docs have come a long way and once you tinker
around it isn't all that difficult.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve