Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:37:54 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "kesu" <kesu@kesuki.dyndns.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Need help limiting bandwith ARP uses over cable modem.

How is any filtering that you do on your FreeBSD system going to affect the
incoming ARP packets?  They are STILL going to come in - even if you block
them, your blocking them after your modem has received them and so
accomplishing nothing.

Even a crummy Pentium 200 can saturate a 10Mbt Ethernet pipe without noticing
it and I doubt that your getting even close that throughput delivered to you
via cable.  Your BSD Ethernet interface is literally loafing along when it is
recieving those 7,000 arp requests - it's not dropping the tcp packets as a
result of those.  If anything is, it's your cable modem.  Those recieved arps
are still going to be there whether you block them from your BSD box or not
and if your cable modem is being affected by them it will continue to be
affected by them, whether you block them or not.

If you want to limit INBOUND arp bandwidth then complain to your ISP.  Of
course - you can limit outbound ARP bandwidth all you want - but unless your
system is screwed it's not transmitting 64k of outbound arps.  Further, I
doubt that the "consistent experience" your looking for is for OUTBOUND
bandwidth, I'm sure that what you care about is INBOUND bandwidth - and you
have no control over how much of a percentage of that is used by arps.