Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:46:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "roma.a.g" <roma.a.g@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: easy question about kill command

roma.a.g <roma.a.g@gmail.com> wrote:
 > Is there anyone who can explain me, why when i say 'kill -HUP id',
 > and its failed to restart, kill say nothing?

Because the kill command has no way to know about it.

The kill command only instructs the kernel to deliver
a signal to a process (or to a process group).  The only
feedback it gets from the kernel is whether the target
process exists or not.  (The latter is often used to
check for the existence of a particular process ID, by
trying to send it a "zero" signal which does nothing.)

There is no way for the kill command to know what the
target process is going to do with the signal.  This is
entirely and only the business of the target process,
which might chose to take the default action (in the case
of SIGHUP it's to terminate the process), to ignore the
signal alltogether, or to take some special action.
Some programs use SIGHUP traditionally to rotate their
logfiles, re-read configuration files, re-open network
sockets, restart themselves, or other things.  But that's
entirely up to the program in question, and there is no
way the kill command could know about it, let alone
whether it was successful or not.

 > It is such an easy to implement...

I don't think so, as explained above.  But if you think
it is easy, you're certainly free to write a patch and
submit it for discussion.

Best regards
   Oliver

"What is this talk of 'release'?  We do not make software 'releases'.
Our software 'escapes', leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality
assurance people in its wake."