Date:      Fri, 04 May 2001 09:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, (Joerg Wunsch) <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Subject:   Re: Any chance of release patch being committed?

On 04-May-01 Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Fri, 04 May 2001 00:00:58 +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
>
>> We are, but why would we use anything else than GENERIC for it,
>> seriously?  I'd never roll a `release' for my current machine.
>
> When you get commitment to a fixed hardware configuration for two years
> and you want to leave your datacenter full of hosts ready to power up
> and play off a custom CDROM, a release that uses a custom kernel is
> desirable.
>
> That said, I don't think that the release should pick up KERNCONF.  I
> think a middle-ground option is to have the release pick up
> RELEASE_KERNCONF.

That is fine, but do note that Terry didn't add a new KERNCONF variable, it was
already called that to begin with.  We don't use buildkernel/installkernel in
release, so it doesn't actually cause any conflicts.  But anyways.  Anyone have
any reasonable objections to Terry's patch?  If not I'll test it out for sanity
and then commit it.