Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 14:02:00 +0200
From:      Lars Koeller  <uphya001@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Questions about Xfree 3.1

   Hi!

   Some comments:

|>> 1) Can I save the way the desktop looks when I exit X-windows.
|>>    When I exit and return again the desktop is always in the original
|>> configuration.

|> You can write a shellscript which launch every part of your
|> desktop in your favorite manner. This script is started by xinit
|> (look at manpage for xinit) and its default-name is ".xinirc".
|> (if you use xdm, name its name ".session").

      I think the names  are .xinitrc and .xsession.  But perhaps these has
   changed in X11R6.  The best way  to save the desktop is  to use the fvwm
   window manager (compiled with the m4 preprocessor  option). Then you are
   able  to save your desktop  with the SaveDesktop Module which comes with
   fvwm (save the information in ~/.fvwmdesk). It's really a nice toolkit.

   Regards Lars

Lars Köller                        E-Mail:
University of Rostock (Germany)       lars.koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE
Fachbereich Physik
Universitätsplatz 3		   Phone:  +49 381/498-1665 or 498-1648
18051 Rostock                      Fax:    +49 381/498-1667