Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
To:        Stefan Herrmann <stefhe@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Star Office 5 on FreeBSD

> > www.cdrom.com is advertising a soon to be released port of using
> > Applixware to FreeBSD.  Does anyone have experience with Applixware on
> > other platforms, or know anything about the port?
> >
> > I'm a bit wary of buying it too early in case of bugs, and it sounds
> > pretty resource intensive, but the discussion on the redhat applix list
> > seems like many people prefer it to Star Office.
> >
> > Any info / experiences?
>
> I bought ApplixOffice 2 years ago and used it under Linux.
> It was the time, when StarOffice 3.1 was in beta test. ApplixOffice
> used _a lot_ less memory and was way faster then the fat StarOffice 3.1b.
> I didn't try the newer Versions of both.
>
> The disadvantage for me with ApplixOffice was, that it couldn't handle
> MS Word documents. Don't know, if it can now. StarOffice 3.1b could, but
> was too big and slow. These are my experiences.

I use the RedHat version of Applixware version 4.37 under FreeBSD
2.2.[5-7]'s on a P133 w/64 meg of ram under linux emulation and it's
worked ok.  I haven't used it for anything beyond simple spreadsheets
and reading word files.

It's not a horrible spreadsheet, but Excel is probably nicer for most
things, (except I'd need to reboot, so I avoid it ;-)

Its MSOffice interoperability is OK with Word 6 and the version of
Excel before Office95, but it has no ability to deal with newer versions,
and Word 6 is now two (soon to be 3) versions behind the times,
so it's getting to be less useful.

Applix's web site didn't offer much in the way of advice about
upgrades.  I think they're figuring the Linux market will just have
to buy new versions to upgrade.

	-castor