Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 1997 20:57:20 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make targets

In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970207192234.1379C-100000@bitbucket> Steve Reid writes:
: > make depend
: > make all
: > sudo make install
: > If that fails, then I punt and rebuild the whole world.  And about
: > once a month or so I do a make world just in case.
:
: Is it possible to do the make world in seperate compile and install
: operations? I prefer to take the system down to single-user when
: messing with system binaries, but a make world takes quite a while and
: I'd rather not have the system down for any longer than necessary.

you can't do make world in separate compile/install operations.
Because it does some compiling, some installing, some compiling and
then some installing again.  I suppose that you could, in a chroot'd
env do a make world and when that was done do a make install from the
same files not in a chrooted world.  Come to think of it, I seem to
recall that others have done this.

Warner